Hey makers, here’s one of my favorite patterns of all time. Its a graphghan which means it is a Graph + Afghan which is done entirely with single crochets only – no other stitches are used. Checkout this awesome free crochet blanket pattern and let me know in comments how it turned out to be.
Pay attention to the notes section for more details on how to read the pattern and important things about the pattern, but first lets get together all the supplies we would need to make this beauty with our own two hands.
Supply List :
1. Value Solid yarn by Craftsmart in color Mushroom
● For the entire afghan I used little less than two skeins of 198 g each.
● This is the main color/ background color.
2. Value Solid yarn by Craftsmart in color Dark
● I used half of one entire skein of 198 g.
● This is used for the outlines, letters and
3. Value Solid yarn by Craftsmart in color Bright Red
● This is just for the heart in the middle so
you need very less yarn – if you have left over yarn
from another project please use that – any
medium weight yarn in red color would be
4. Value Solid yarn by Craftsmart in color Peach
● I used half of one entire skein of 198 g.
● This is used for the fingers.
Other than the yarn you would need
Stitches Used :
ch – chain stitch
sc – single crochet
15 sc stitches – 16 rows ~ 4 inch (10 cm)
Finished afghan size (with border) ~ 46 inch(length) x 28.5 inch (width)
* Finished size is of the afghan made using the materials listed above. The size may vary if a different yarn, hook, or gauge is used.
→ This is a graphan(Graph + Afghan ) which is done entirely with single crochets only – no other stitches are used.
→ Do not carry-over yarn anywhere – use small pieces of yarn(aka bobbins) and leave off as you change into the next color. Pick up the strand when you come back for the next row and so on.
Checkout this tutorial to learn how to seamlessly change colors in a graphghan :
→ This is a bottom to top graphghan and the design would start to come to life as you finish the rows and that’s the most exciting part – I was so delighted when the heart started coming to life
→ All odd rows would be the right side(RS) and all even rows would be on the wrong side (WS).
→ Read the chart right-left while crocheting on even row (RS) and left-right while crocheting on odd rows(LS) – the arrows in the pattern chart would help you keep a track of this.
→ All even rows are just return passes so the colors would be the same as the previous row.
→ I have written this pattern down in the form of a grid/block/boxes so it’s easy to understand and follow. It’s all single crochets so you got to make as many single crochets as mentioned in the block of that color.
→ Feel free to use any other yarn and corresponding hook size – your finished project size may vary but the pattern to follow would be the same.
→ At the end of every row, ch1 and turn the work and follow the pattern for the next row.
→ Also feel free to use any other combinations you might wanna try this in.
→ Color chart to follow for the pattern is as follows :
For example if the row is as follows :
This means you have to read the numbers right to left (arrow direction) and you need to crochet 3sc in color mushroom then 3 sc in color black then 147 sc in color mushroom then 3 sc in color black then 3sc in color mushroom.
Then Row 4 would be like this :
This means you have to read the numbers left to right (arrow direction) and you need to crochet
3sc in color mushroom then 3 sc in color black then 147 sc in color mushroom then 3 sc in color black then 3sc in color mushroom.
For even rows you can easily make out which color you need to use by looking at the previous row – just follow the color changes of the previous row and use the chart to confirm you are doing it right.
If you have any questions at all on the pattern shoot me an email on [email protected] or catch me on any of my social media handles I will help you out right away. .
Okay then get your yarn bobbins and crochet hook and let’s start making this beautiful graphghan.
******* A better formatted and readable ad-free pdf copy of this crochet blanket pattern with all the instructions is available HERE ***********************
Start with a slip knot in color mushroom (this is the color of your background/ main color)
Make 160 chain stitches (ch) as your foundation chain and from next row onwards which will be Row 1 start making as many single crochets as mentioned in the following chart :
Great job finishing off this crochet blanket, aren’t you delighted the way it’s turned out to be????
Okay so at this point you are just left the following three tasks to officially mark this crochet blanket off your list and move onto the next project :
1. Add-in a border of your choice on all 4 sides – I did a simple border of half-double crochets on all sides – you can just do 2-3 rows of sc on all sides or even if you do 1 row of sc it’s going to look neat and smooth. I didn’t wanna do any complex edging for this one since there is a lot going on in the body of the blanket so a simple border would help give it the deserved limelight and secondly I was left with just enough yarn to make a hdc
border so it was an easy choice.
2. Once the borders are done weave-in the ends so there are no loose ends on the wrong side of the afghan.
3. If you wish you can block the afghan – I didn’t feel like blocking since it was nice and flat without it but in case your work is looking uneven at places or not lying down flat you can go ahead and block it.
Fancy-optional Finishing :
Usually with graphghans since multiple colored yarns are used and you would be switching between the strands of yarn – the wrong side looks a little messy so if you wish you can stitch in a piece of fabric on the wrong side to hide all of that and make it look pretty even on the wrong
side. That would make it look really nice and elegant. For that you need either a sewing machine or the patience to hand-sew – either ways it would look nice on both sides if you go for it.
I am all ears for any kind of feedback / comment / suggestions you might have for me and my work so please shoot an email to me at ad[email protected] and hey I would really love if you tag me on
instagram if you make a beautiful project using my pattern – my handle is @yarnoculous, or if you would like to see me make more such beautiful projects I have tons of video tutorials on our YouTube channel – check it out for more crochet inspiration and free patterns. All of my social media hangout places are listed here, let’s get together and make awesome crochet
If you liked making this crochet blanket chances are you would like my crochet unicorn pattern as well – check out the free pattern here and let me know what you think!
Take care, happy hooking!!!
Give me a shout on any of my social media hangout places
Grab a add-free downloadable pdf version of this awesome pattern here
LOVE ❤️ LOVE ❤️ LOVE ❤️
Thanks a ton Mary ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️